Decision making plays out in many ways across higher education. Examples from the MnSCU competencies include:
- Ability to creatively and efficiently solve problems
- Demonstrating critical thinking and asking appropriate questions
- Seeking alternative viewpoints
- Using appropriate decision-making methods based on the situation
- Preparing stakeholders for, and involving them in, decisions that affect them
- Communicating decisions effectively to stakeholders
- Supporting decisions once they are made
This list is a bit daunting. Exhibiting all of these behaviors requires a strong set of leadership skills in a wide variety of areas. At the same time, it’s a great description of leadership that is not dependent on rank, position, or job role.
If you were describing effective decision making, which items do you think are most important? What else might you add to the list?
Dee Anne Bonebright