“Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.”
– Henry Ford
Last fall we surveyed leaders in the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities to ask them: “What are the top leadership challenges you encounter in your role?”
Not surprisingly, many of the challenges revolved around building an effective team, from sourcing and recruiting the best new members for their team to providing incentives for their team to work productively together. This month we’ll be exploring these topics, as well as some of the following aspects of building an effective team:
- Assessing individual/team capabilities when you’re the new leader of a team
- Using behavioral-based interview questions to help you recruit great team members
- Growing and retaining your best team members
- Building a senior leadership team
- Rebuilding your team after a jolt or loss
- Fostering productive work environments for teams
- Planning physical work spaces that support your team
- Making virtual teams work
We hope to hear from you this month as we explore this important leadership challenge. Please comment below and let us know: What are your key challenges in building an effective team? What has worked well for you?