Through their work transformational leaders demonstrate Idealized Influence, the first of the 4 I’s that Anita described in her post on Monday. Just like the lead biker in a team time trial, they don’t just have a powerful message or good ideas. They lead by example. They are the type of leader who isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and work along side you.
In fact, through their actions they become such a positive role model that people are inspired to follow. The following actions or behaviors are often listed when people describe a transformational leader. They:
- Walk the talk
- Would never ask you to do something they wouldn’t do
- Stay true to their values without worrying about outside opinions
- Spread enthusiasm and integrity
- Provide real-life examples through their actions
- Take personal risks when it is the right thing to do
- Inspire through action
Becoming a more transformational leader is a lot of work, but the trust and engagement you build can set the stage for success.